Driving overseas post-Brexit

07 / 03 / 19  |  Driver Information

Planning on driving to other countries in the EU in the near future?

Here’s some things you need to consider…

1. An International Driving Permit

You may need to apply for a special licence in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Known as an International Driving Permit (IDP), it might be familiar to people who drive outside of the EU and EEA. Along with a UK driving licence, an IDP is a legal requirement to drive overseas. Post-Brexit, it might become more commonplace among UK citizens travelling in the EU.

Currently, most drivers only need a UK driving licence to drive in the EU but, should a no-deal Brexit occur, each EU and EEA country will need to decide if drivers also need to carry an IDP.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, or any other agreements, a 1968 IDP may be required to drive in all EU member countries or Norway and Switzerland, with the exception of Cyprus, Iceland, Malta and Spain where a 1949 IDP may be required or a 1926 IDP for Liechtenstein.

Consider your driving route carefully, as you may require more than one IDP if you plan on travelling to several EU countries, for example driving to Spain through France.

For now, as uncertainty surrounding what kind of Brexit will take place, UK drivers may still need an IDP until relevant arrangements can be made.

To avoid confusion, make sure you check before you travel and allow yourself as much time as possible to sort out the necessary paperwork.

IDPs are available at Post Offices for £5.50 each. To apply, you’ll need your driving licence and a passport photo.

2. A Green Card

A motor insurance ‘Green Card’ is an internationally-recognised document that acts as proof that a driver is insured to drive abroad. This can be requested from the insurer, usually about a month before you intend to travel.

Make sure your Green Card is valid for all countries you plan to visit and ensure that it has a minimum of 15 days’ cover left on it.

A separate Green Card may be required for any trailers that are being used.

3. GB Sticker

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you might need to display a GB sticker, or GB sign on your number plate. GB is the distinguishing sign to display on UK-registered vehicles when driving outside of the UK.


Any questions?

If you are driving a Zenith vehicle and would like to discuss travelling abroad, please contact
your dedicated team who will be happy to help.


International Driving Permit

Green Card

GB Sticker