The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) replaced the T-Charge on 8 April 2019.
Drivers entering the capital in vehicles that don’t comply with new emissions standards will have to pay a fee 24 hours a day, 7 days a week every day of the year. This is in addition to the £11.50 congestion charge, which is currently payable between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.
The aim is to reduce nitrogen dioxide levels to within the legal limit in the shortest time possible.
Minimum emission standards:
- Euro 3 for motorcycles, mopeds, motorised tricycles and quadricycles (L category)
- Euro 4 (NOx) for petrol cars, vans, minibuses and other specialist vehicles
- Euro 6 (NOx and PM) for diesel cars, vans and minibuses and other specialist vehicles
- Euro VI (NOx and PM) for lorries, buses and coaches and other specialist heavy vehicles
Find out more about the standards here.
What are the fees?
- £12.50 for most vehicle types, including cars, motorcycles and vans (up to and including 3.5 tonnes)
- £100 for heavier vehicles, including lorries (over 3.5 tonnes) and buses/coaches (over 5 tonnes)
When to pay
You can pay by midnight on the day of the journey or up to 90 days in advance.
From 25 October 2021 the ULEZ boundary will be extended.